- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Professional Training, led by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli, Rhinebeck, New York (2010)
- Learning to Breathe, A Mindfulness Curriculum for Adolescents, led by Trish Broderick and Tussi Kluge, Charlottesville, Virginia (2012)
- Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute, Two-Day Program at Georgetown University (2015)
- MISS Foundation Compassionate Bereavement Care, a Four-Day Intensive Certification Program led by Dr. Joanne Cacciatore, Sedona, Arizona (2015)
- The International Center for Reiki Training, Usui/Holy Fire II Reiki Ryoho, First and Second Degree Reiki Certification, Richmond, Virginia (2016)
- George Mumford's Workshop on "The Power of Mindfulness: The Secrets to Pure Performance in Work, Love, & Play," hosted by the UMass Medical School Center for Mindfulness (2016)
- Mindfulness Teacher at Collegiate School of Richmond, Virginia
- Mindfulness Consultant at Health & Family Psychologists of Virginia
- Mindfulness Coach at the Cameron K Gallagher Foundation of Richmond, Virginia
- Faculty at the Chrysalis Institute of Richmond, Virginia
- Co-Founder of Mindfulness In Communities
SAMPLE PRESENTATIONS BY ALEX AT REGIONAL & INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
- "Taking Mindfulness off of the Cushion." Keynote speaker at the Chrysalis Institute's Mindful Parenting Conference (2017)
- "Mindfulness for Tweens & Teens." Breakout session at the Chrysalis Institute's Mindful Parenting Conference (2017)
- "The Evolution of a Mindfulness Program at a JK - 12 School." Presentation at the Northeastern Independent Schools Mindfulness Conference, hosted by Middlesex School of Concord, Massachusetts (2017)
- "The Mindful Athlete." Breakout session at the Northeastern Independent Schools Mindfulness Conference, hosted by Middlesex School of Concord, Massachusetts (2017)
- "The Mindful Way to Peak Performance." Presentation to the Randolph-Macon College Men's Basketball team (2017)
- "The Mindful Way to Peak Performance." Multi-session presentations over the course of a two month span for the intercollegiate athletes at The College of William & Mary (2016)
- "Mindful Mondays." A monthly guided mindfulness practice made available to all Richmond area teens thanks to the support of the Cameron K Gallagher Foundation (2015, 2016, 2017)
- "The Mindful Way to Cultivating Happiness & Health in School Aged Children." Presentation at the 54th Annual Children's Mental Health Symposium, hosted by VCU's Department of Psychiatry, the Virginia Treatment Center for Children, & the Children's Hospital at VCU (2016)
- "Mindful Living, Mindful Leading." Keynote speaker for the John Cook Lecture, sponsored by the School of Education at Virginia Commonwealth University (2015)
- "Developing a Mindfulness Program for Students, Faculty, & Parents at a K - 12 School." Presentation at UMass Medical School's Center for Mindfulness 12th Annual International Scientific Conference (2014)
- "Mindful Coach, Mindful Athlete." Presentation at Virginia Area Independent Schools' Health & Wellness Summit (2015)
- "Mindfulness in Education." Presentation at the Virginia Area Independent Schools' Annual Conference. (2012)
- "Mindfulness in Counseling." Presentation at the Virginia Area School Counselor Association Annual Conference (2012)
In addition to these conferences and lectures, Alex has spoken on mindfulness at the Federal Reserve, Northwestern Mutual, University of Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University, The College of William & Mary, Full Circle Grief Counseling Center, Bon Air Juvenile Correctional Facility, area churches, as a guest presenter at musical festivals, and to students, faculty, and administration at public and private schools across the state of Virginia.
MINDFULNESS INITIATIVES AT COLLEGIATE SCHOOL
- Oversees the JK - 12 Mindfulness Program at Collegiate School of Richmond, Virginia
- In 2008, Alex created the curriculum for and began teaching a 2-week mindfulness class, which every freshmen at Collegiate takes as a part of their Health & Wellness requirement.
- In 2009, Alex began providing mindfulness-based professional development for any interested faculty & staff at Collegiate School.
- In 2009, Alex began providing mindfulness for peak performance to any interested athletes and coaches at Collegiate School.
- In 2011, Alex began providing mindfulness-based workshops for the Parent Association at Collegiate School.
- In the summer of 2015, Alex was awarded a grant from the school to create a curriculum for a semester-long "Mindful Leadership" elective class for Collegiate seniors. The content of this class is primarily rooted in the research and techniques found in Jon Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence, and the neuroscience of Dan Siegel and Richard Davidson. The purpose of the class is for the students to take the foundation of mindfulness they established in their underclassmen years at Collegiate, and turn these techniques outward; thus, cultivating a leadership style grounded in compassion, ethical decision making, and authenticity. For each of the first three semesters this class has been offered, over 60 seniors (over half of the senior class) have listed this elective as their first choice in course registration.